Thursday, January 22, 2009

Bridges Between Here and the Next Place


In the past two days I've crossed over the Mississippi River and back again six times to attend a visitation and funeral of a dear friend's mother. Maya brought sad people happy smiles and many came up and said, "I've heard of this baby" and played with her bare toes because she refuses to wear socks.

(Maya loves Barack, and I often hold her little soft phone up and say, "Oh, look Maya, Barack is calling you.")

After the visitation we went to Harris Pizza because it's a Quad Cities "must" and because we were quite hungry. (And Maya needed some quite time, AKA a nap.)

Yesterday, funeral day, I drove back to the Quad Cities with Allan (Maya and her Daddy stayed home this time) and on the way to the burial we saw a black squirrel (I love love love them), and as we crossed the Mississippi into the national military cemetary we saw two bald eagles. What a beautiful send off.

Time, we don't have much of it. And someTIMES it takes a sudden death to help us remember how important family and friends are, and I sooo love Jo Momma. And I called her and told her so.

No comments: